In Romanian: Creier in gelatina
- 1 beef brain
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 parsnip
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 - 3 juniper berries
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1½ quart / 1.5 l water
- juice from ½ lemon
- a few sprigs of parsley
- Boil the thinly sliced carrot, parsnip and onion together with the bay leaf, juniper berries and some salt. Boil at slow temperature, covered.
- After the vegetables are ready, add the brain and let it boil. When ready, take the brain out carefully with a slotted spoon. Sift the liquid through a sieve and measure it. For each cup of liquid, add 3 tablespoon of gelatine.
- Mix until the gelatine is melted and let it boil for a minute or two. Take it off the heat, add lemon juice, salt and pour on a large plate to form a ¼ inch layer. Keep the rest of the gelatine warm. Clean the cooled brain of membranes.
- Slice it in 1 inch slices and then place on top of the chilled gelatin layer, 2 - 3 inches apart. On top of each slice, place a circle of egg, with one sprig of parsley in each yolk. Pour the rest of gelatine on top.
- Leave it in a cool place to gel. Before serving, cut with a glass to make rounds that would include brain, egg and parsley. Place on a platter and garnish the space among rounds with chopped gelatin and lemon slices.