In Romanian: Sarmale cu orez (fara carne).
- 1 cup rice
- 3 – 4 large onion
- 4 – 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 carrot
- chopped parsley and dill
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 medium cabbage (regular or soured)
- Fry the finely chopped onions in oil until yellow.
- Add the washed rice, grated carrot, and let fry a little until the carrot is softened.
- Then add 1 tablespoon tomato sauce, 2 – 3 tablespoons water, salt and pepper.
- Simmer, mixing with a spoon until the liquid is reduced.
- Remove from heat, add chopped parsley and dill and make rolls from regular or soured cabbage.
- If using regular (unsoured) cabbage, scald it with boiling water.
- If using soured cabbage, wash it first.
- If using regular cabbage, boil the rolls with borş and if using soured cabbage, boil with 1 tablespoon tomato sauce and water.
- See Regular Cabbage Rolls and Sour Cabbage Rolls.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.