In Romanian: Varza umpluta cu carne
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 lb / 500 g ground sirloin
- 2 – 3 onions
- 1 tablespoon rice
- 2 tablespoons lard
- salt, pepper
- chopped parsley and dill
- 1 lb / 500 g tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- sour cream
- Remove the exterior leaves from the cabbage.
- With a knife, cut and remove the core.
- Place the cabbage in a pot with salt water and let boil for a few minutes (until the leaves start to soften).
- Mix the ground meat with the rice, raw or lightly fried onion, 1 tablespoon of lard and some pepper.
- After the cabbage was removed from the water and cooled off, place it on a cutting board, remove a few leaves from the inside, fan out the other leaves and put the ground meat mixture in between the leaves.
- Re-arrange the leaves giving the cabbage its initial round shape.
- Place in a pot with the cored part up and pour the following sauce over it.
- Fry a little onion with a tablespoon of lard, add flour, fry until yellowish and then pour the boiled and strained tomatoes over it.
- Add salt, sugar and vinegar.
- If this sauce does not completely cover the cabbage, add some water.
- Cover the pot and simmer.
- When it is almost ready, spread some chopped parsley and dill on top and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.